Karen Truszkowski, Of Counsel
Karen Truszkowski is the founder and owner of Temperance Legal Group, PLLC. Karen specializes in representing students and families in Title IX, sex discrimination, LGBTQ+, and other civil rights matters. Karen is a nationally-recognized expert in the area of K-12 schools' obligations under Title IX, and has successfully litigated numerous high profile Title IX cases against both K-12 and higher education institutions.
After graduating Cum Laude from Western Michigan University Cooley Law School in 1999, Karen started her law career as a staff attorney for UAW Legal Services in Dearborn and Saline, Michigan. She also practiced with Fletcher Wolf and Associates in Flint, Michigan, where she litigated municipal law, personal injury, family law, and probate matters.
In 2007, the Chief Judge of the 52nd District Court of Michigan appointed Karen as District Court Magistrate of the 52-3 District Court in Rochester, Michigan. In 2008, she was brought onto the full-time faculty as a Faculty Supervisor in The Sixty Plus Elder Law Clinic at Cooley Law School. Karen is now a Professor Emeritus with her own private firm.
- Judge refuses to dismiss lawsuit against MSU over handling of sexual assault cases involving athletes, MLive, August 21, 2019.
- Michigan State reportedly pays $1.2 million to settle Keith Mumphery lawsuits, MLive, July 11, 2019.
- Michigan State clears ex-basketball players in rape case, Washington Post, June 29, 2019.
- Settlement reached in Holland Christian Title IX lawsuit, Holland Sentinel, May 15, 2019.
- Ex-MSU player, woman in sex assault case settle lawsuits, Detroit News, May 11, 2019.
- Exclusive: New Documents Show the Trump Administration Has Confronted Dozens of School Districts Across the Country for Mishandling Sexual Assault Cases, The 74, April 24, 2019.
- Sex assault allegations at Michigan State make it 'so hard to be a Spartan', Detroit Free Press, April 19, 2019.
- Michigan State student alleges traumatic gang rape by basketball players and the school's reaction, ABC News, April 11, 2019.
- Student accuses 3 Michigan State basketball players of raping her in 2015, Washington Post, April 10, 2019.
- Michigan State Discouraged Reporting of Rape Allegation Against Athletes, Woman Says, New York Times, April 10, 2019.
- As DeVos Eases Sexual Assault Rules, Her Old High School May Provide a Test Case, New York Times, April 1, 2019.
- Title IX law faces potential changes, panelists discuss rights, WLNS News, March 29, 2019.
- Man gets jail time for sexually assaulting Dexter High classmate, Fox 2 News Detroit, December 10, 2018.
- Federal judge keeps sex assault lawsuit against Michigan State alive, Detroit Free Press, November 14, 2018.
- He defended Michigan State vs. sexual assaults. Now he heads Title IX., Detroit Free Press, June 29, 2018.
- John Engler involved in Michigan State misstep, emails show, Detroit Free Press, June 8, 2018.
- Title IX Lawsuit Over Players' Alleged Rape Adds to Michigan State's Growing Legal Troubles, Sports Illustrated, April 13, 2018.
- Michigan State Trustee Calls for University’s General Counsel to Resign, The Chronicle of Higher Education, January 29, 2018.
- Teen Victims Beg School Board Not to Let Sex Offender Back in School, Vice, November 29, 2017.
- Michigan State failed to support woman in sexual assault case, lawsuit states, ESPN, November 27, 2017.
- Attorney for alleged victim in MSU sex assault case praises police, urges privacy, MLive, June 6, 2017.
- Attorney: Investigation found 3 accused football players violated Michigan State policy, Detroit Free Press, May 23, 2017.
- Lansing School District to pay $405K to settle sex assault lawsuits, Lansing State Journal, April 28, 2017.
- MSU suspends coach as abuse allegations grow, Detroit News, February 13, 2017.
- Woman sues Holt Public Schools over assaults, Fox 43 News, January 5, 2017.
- Feds investigating gender discrimination in Lansing School District, Lansing State Journal, September 26, 2016.
- Michigan high school suspended student who reported sexual assault, Mic, September 23, 2016.
- Second sex assault lawsuit against school should be 'wake-up call', MLive, June 16, 2016.
- Teen Says She Was Sexually Assaulted in School—Then Suspended for Being 'Lewd', Broadly, June 13, 2016.
- Ex-student sues Lansing schools over alleged sexual assault, Detroit Free Press, June 11, 2016.
- Sex assault victim sues Lansing schools for lack of protection, Lansing State Journal, May 26, 2016.
- School indifferent to rape by football star, 'miserably failed' victim, lawsuit says, MLive, May 24, 2016.
- J.D., Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
- B.S., Eastern Michigan University
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan